Thursday, April 15, 2010

St-Martin/Sint Maarten


I know it's a little far away, but I have already started planning my birthday trip for the big 2-4. It usually snows on my birthday, and I hate snow, so I thought a beach vacay would be in order. I have decided on the Caribbean island St.Martin. The island is actually inhibited by both the french and the dutch (St-Martin to the French, and Sint Maarten to the Dutch).

Lonely Planet said this: The arbitrary division of land has given the scrubby island two very distinct personalities, like a set of Siamese twins. Although fundamentally one entity, both sides are engaged in an unconscious game of tug-of-war as they struggle to assert their individuality. At times they work as one, and in other instances they become a caricature of themselves by exaggerating the traits that makes them unique: the French cling to their European roots, as demonstrated by the food and local lingo, while the Netherlands Antilles side plays up their jammin’ attitude by appealing to the hedonistic pleasures of visitors. But, although neither side likes to admit it, the whole really is greater than the sum of its parts.

So far, my list of activities includes; laying on the beach and getting a wicked tan that will make every resident of Colorado jealous when I return, taking a day trip over to Anguilla on a catamaran, and checking out the Oyster Bay Marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment